Does Your Pet Have an Allergy?
Allergies are common in pets and can develop when their immune system is exposed to allergens that are present in their surroundings. Although these harmful substances may not affect you, they may severely affect your pet. If your pet is displaying symptoms of an allergic reaction, contact our veterinarians at Sheehy Animal Hospital in Livonia today. We will provide the relief that your furry friend needs.
Pet Allergy Symptoms
Your pet’s symptoms can indicate what is causing the allergic reaction. For instance, snoring and an inflamed throat indicate that your pet is allergic to environmental allergens such as dust, perfume, or smoke. Vomiting and diarrhea can indicate a food allergy, while skin irritation often indicates flea issues. Other symptoms of an allergy include:
- Chewing their paws or swollen paws
- Hair loss
- Skin rash (small spots that are red, swollen, and itchy)
- Runny, itchy, or red eyes
- Wheezing and coughing
The Leading Causes of Pet Allergies
Pets can develop four main types of allergies: food allergies, environmental allergies, flea allergies, and atopic dermatitis. Some of the allergens that make up these categories include:
- Flea control products
- Substances in the environment such as mold, plants, pollen, and mildew
- Plastic materials
- Rubber Cat litter
How Allergies Affect Your Pet
These four types of allergies affect pets in different ways.
- Food allergies: Some pets have allergies to specific foods, which is why you should observe if your pet develops any symptoms after introducing it to a new type of food. Some foods may cause skin irritation, diarrhea, or vomiting. Our veterinarians can help identify which foods your pet is allergic to and recommend an appropriate diet.
- Environmental allergies: Your pet may be allergic to pollen, dust, mold, perfume, smoke from cigarettes, or cleaning products.
- Atopic dermatitis: This condition may occur when your pet’s body reacts to allergies. It can cause the development of skin sores, redness, hair loss, and scabbing. If you observe any of these symptoms, book an appointment with our veterinarians. We are well-versed in dermatology for pets.
- Flea allergies: Flea bites on your pet can be quite irritating. Some flea control products may be the cause of your pet’s skin irritation. Our veterinarians will help you pick the right flea prevention product for your pet.
Get Allergy Relief for Your Pet in Livonia, MI
If you suspect your pet has an allergy, call our team at Sheehy Animal Hospital today at (248) 615-7670. Our veterinarians will determine the cause of your pet’s allergic response and provide products that can give your pet the relief it needs.